We made these fun Halloween Mason Jars using clear jars. They were very easy to make. Once you learn how to use the vinyl with your Cricut, you’ll want to make lots of Cricut vinyl projects! Some were mason canning jars, and some were empty pickle and mayonnaise jars.
At a recent crafting weekend, I taught the ladies how to use vinyl with their Cricut Machines. Everyone knew that the Cricut would cut vinyl, and some of the ladies had even bought some, but they hadn’t tried it.
Supplies Needed to Make Halloween Mason Jars
- Glass Jar – You can use a Mason canning jar, used mayonnaise or pickle jar, or a clear jar from the dollar store. Smooth sided jars work best, but you can also use a jar with a design on the side like a Mason jar. Any size jar will work. A gallon jar would be really cool to put on your porch for Halloween, and baby food jars would be great table decorations for a Costume Party.
- Craft Paint – You want the kind that comes in a 4 oz bottle, like Apple Barrel brand. I used orange, but you could use green, purple, or black.
- Long handled paint brush
- Craft glue – I used Elmer’s Glue, but you can use the cheap kind.
- Black Vinyl from Expressions Vinyl
- Transfer tape
Instructions For Making Halloween Mason Jars
- Remove any labels from the jar. I soaked mine overnight in soapy water, but I still had one that left a sticky residue. You can use Goo Gone if soap and water don’t work.
- Mix the paint and glue, one part paint, one part glue. I didn’t measure; I eyeballed it. The amount that you will need depends on the size of your jar. The purpose of the glue is to thin down the paint so that light will shine through your jar.
- Paint the INSIDE of your jar. I used a long handled paintbrush It’s really hard to get the paint on evenly. Since it was for Halloween, it gave it a spooky, streaky finish which was perfect for the holiday. If I was making it for another occasion though, I would have added another coat of paint.
- Use the Cricut to cut shapes out of black vinyl, and apply the shapes to your jar. (I will make another post with detailed instructions on how to do this.)
- Add candles to your jars. Two tea light flameless candles work well for a mason jar, or you could use a larger candle.
Cricut Cartridges with Halloween Shapes
I painted the jars for the Halloween Luminaries, and let the ladies choose which Halloween Cricut Cartridges they wanted to use to decorate them. There are so many fun Halloween die cuts available.
Here is a list of the Cricut Cartridges with Halloween Shapes. If you have the Cricut Explore, you’ll have even more shapes to choose from!
- October 31st Cricut Cartridge
- Happy Hauntings
- Stretch Your Imagination
- Doodle Charms Cricut Cartridge
- Paper Doll Dress Up
Think about how easy it will be to change the colors and die cuts for different occasions. The possibilities are endless for making easy and inexpensive party decorations and holiday home decor.
- Handmade Halloween Cards by P.S. I Love You Crafts
- 20 Awesome Fall Paper Crafts
- Halloween Treat Bags
- Thanksgiving Place Cards
- Handmade Thanksgiving Cards
Cool and spooky. Love these. Wish I could have taken your class. My sister-in-law cuts vinyl almost daily and sells stuff. There are nights she has 3 cricuts going at once. LOL Me.. I’m just looking forward to play time.
Three Cricuts?!?!?! She’s on a roll!
Really cute. They would be great filled with candy and given as gifts or put a little battery operated tea light in them for a luminary.
Thanks Maggie….they were a really fun project!