We are right smack dab in the middle of summer, and the days might be dragging on for some of you. Trying to keep kids entertained during the dog days of summer is a challenge, but I have a fun yet inexpensive craft that might help.
I’ve never met a child that didn’t love crafts. They don’t care if it’s paint, clay, or glue, they enjoy all of it. I think we’re all born to create, but some have that need nurtured and grow up to be life long crafters.
Kids crafts shouldn’t break the bank. I was able to get all of the supplies for this project at Dollar Tree, and there enough supplies to make 12 Googly Eyed Pencil Toppers with some supplies left over for another day.
SUPPLIES NEEDED FOR PENCIL TOPPERS
- Pipe Cleaners or Chenille Stems
- 1″ Pom Poms
- Wiggle Eyes
- Thick Tacky Glue
I chose bright colors for all of my supplies so I could mix and match them. I love the colorful wiggle eyes. They only had black and white ones when I was a kid.
- Start by gluing two pom poms together. It’s really important to use thick tacky glue and not thin school glue.
- Put a small glob of glue in the middle of the pom poms on the back. Watch the video to see what I mean.
- Lay the top of a pipe cleaner on the small glob of glue. Let this dry a few minutes.
- Turn your pom poms and pipe cleaner over so the pipe cleaner is in the back. It’s helpful to work on a piece of wax paper or plastic in case the glue isn’t dry all the way.
- Using a tiny bit of glue, add the wiggle eyes.
- Holding the pencil in one hand and the pencil topper in the other, start wrapping the pipe clear around the pencil.
That’s all there is to it. Your kids will want to make a few for their friends, and for $5.00, you will have enough supplies for them to share.
- Sharpie Marker Pillowcase by P.S. I Love You Crafts
- Rock Painting and Hiding by P.S. I Love You Crafts
- Make a Toad House by Green Kid Crafts
- Easy Mod Podge Craft for Kids by P.S. I Love You Crafts
- Shaving Cream Art by P.S. I Love You Crafts