Oh Cricut Maker, how I love you! Hahaha! OK stop laughing. I’ve had a love affair with all things Cricut when the very first one was introduced. Do you remember that one? It only cut 6″ wide, but it was a dream machine. I couldn’t imagine Cricut coming out with anything better than that, but a short time later, they released the Expression. I loved that machine too.
I was not compensated by Cricut for this Cricut Maker Review. I purchased the Cricut at full price, and all opinions are my own. This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking one of these links, I will receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
Cricut Maker Review
I was hesitant to buy a Cricut Explore when they came out, but a friend bought me one for Christmas! I still wasn’t sure that I was going to like it as much as the others, but it didn’t disappoint.
As you may know, Cricut has just introduced the Cricut Maker. Do I really need another machine? I couldn’t decide. I didn’t really NEED another Cricut Machine, but darn that thing looks so cool and can cut all kinds of materials.
I went back and forth and couldn’t make up my mind. My boss called me to say that he had left a nice bonus on my desk. YES! As soon as I hung up, I knew that I was going to order a Cricut Maker.
Don’t miss the 12+ Cricut Maker Projects at the end of this post.
I unpacked my Cricut Maker Machine last weekend, and it didn’t disappoint me. I was most excited about the new rotary blade. It’s really cool to watch it cut. I used it on cotton fabric and felt. It cut circles less than 1/4″ round with really crisp edges. I was amazed.
Since I had used the Explore for cutting vinyl, I didn’t really think there would be much of a difference, but I was wrong. I wanted a really detailed leaf for a plate that I was making, but I wanted it small. I was shocked that it cut these tiny circles out cleanly. This machine is very precise and faster than the Explore.
What features does this new machine have?
- In addition to cutting paper, cardstock, heat transfer vinyl, and adhesive vinyl for decals, that can be cut with the Cricut Explore Machines, the Cricut Maker cuts even more materials.
- 2X the cutting speed as the Explore Air 2
- 10X the cutting power
- Rotary Blade that cuts cloth, felt, foam, denim, and burlap, and more
- Knife Blade (sold separately) that can cut balsa wood and mat board
- Fabric Marking pen (sold separately)
- USB port for charging electronic devices
- Top slot for holding iphone or ipad so the screen is visible.
- Improved tool holders with padded bottoms so that tools don’t get dull when in holders. Holders are also 2 depths now. The shallow one is perfect for holding the blades and housing that aren’t in use.
- Bluetooth enabled
- 50 free sewing patterns in Cricut Design Space
- No cartridges needed
- Upload your own designs
- Use the fonts on your computer
- 14 Free days of Cricut Access
Here are a few of the free Cricut Maker projects that are available in Cricut Design Space.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: If I have a Cricut Access account, do I get 10% off of the Cricut Maker?
A: Yes! You may also qualify for free shipping.
Q: Do I need a computer to use the Cricut Maker?
A: You need a computer, ipad, or iphone. I like having a large screen when designing, so I use it with my laptop.
Q: Do I need Internet to use the Cricut Maker?
A: Yes, you need Internet to cut with the machine. The design software is internet based. I have very good WIFI at home, but if you don’t that will be a problem.
Q: Is Cricut Design Space difficult to learn?
A: I consider myself moderately computer literate. I didn’t have any trouble. Whenever I couldn’t figure something out, I found the answer quickly on YouTube. The more you use it, the easier it becomes to design projects.
Q: How long does it take to set up?
A: You should have everything ready to cut in less than 30 minutes. The materials for your first project are included with the Cricut Maker along with super simple instructions to get you started.
Q: What do I like most about the Cricut Maker?
A: I love that there are tons of pre-designed projects ready for me to make. I can create a beautiful gift or cut craft in just a few minutes. This Halloween Shirt is one of my favorite projects that I’ve made.
Want another independent review of this machine? Visit Cricut Maker Machine Review by Joy’s Life. Melissa with Polka Dot Chair wrote a great review called New Cricut Maker Machine Review and FAQ’s. She tells how she went to the Cricut Convention when they revealed the new machine. How fun!!!
I hope this Cricut Maker review has been helpful. I’m really enjoying my crafting machine, and I bet you will too!
Projects and Instructions Made With the Cricut Maker
- Personalized Buckets with the Cricut Machine *Great Beginner’s Project*
- Baby Halloween Shirt
- Mario Brothers Cricut Card
- Custom Fall Kitchen Towels *Includes Heat Transfer Instructions*
- Hot Chocolate Caddy
- Cookie Gift Boxes
- How to Use Vinyl Transfer Tape
- Glitter HTV Shirt
- Cricut Adult Beverage Set *PERFECT GIFT!*
- Cricut Paper Roses
- Felt Dolls
- Valentine Treat Tags
- Heart Shaped Wedding Card *GORGEOUS!*
- Easy Cricut Valentine Cards *30 Minute Project*
Guide to Adhesives
Get your FREE guide to Scrapbooking, Card Making, and Paper Crafting Adhesives.
I will tell you which adhesive brands I use, which ones work for certain materials, and which ones are a waste of money.
Seven pages of tips and where to buy the best that the industry has to offer.